NAPT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

National Association of Plumbing Teachers

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Views on extension of 6129

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tim Rudd

Views on extension of 6129 Empty
PostSubject: Views on extension of 6129   Views on extension of 6129 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Just wondering what people’s views are on the decision to extend the 6129 programme?
Back to top Go down
Phil
Admin
Phil

PostSubject: Re: Views on extension of 6129   Views on extension of 6129 Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 6:55 am

Hi Tim

In Council Metting we have had recently it's clear that Summit Skills are not very happy about it as the new diploma is ready to go and that is the qualification they want to see being adopted from now on. However pressure has been brought on to extend the 6129 from certain areas (I don't want to be specific) and it was then decided at a political level to extend the 6129 registration until July of this year.
From a personal view I feel we should all be working to the new qualification, but this will no doubt for a lot of colleges lead to a BIG drop in student numbers, as in effect unless they can complete the award (be apprentices in the work place) they won't be able to complete the diploma on a full time course basis, as there won't be any public funding for the colleges to draw against hence they will cut numbers and possibly lecturing posts. Shocked
But like I said I feel we should be teaching the new standards without doubt the 6129 is dated, not many open vented heating and hot water systems are installed from new these days plus the eviromental technologies are barley covered.
Back to top Go down
https://napt.board-directory.net
Tim Rudd

PostSubject: Re: Views on extension of 6129   Views on extension of 6129 Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 11:14 pm

I agree totally, the 6129 I feel was itself a rushed effort, even in its day it failed to address key changes in the industry, as yoyu pointed out very little on renewables etc.
However as a college tutor I am split in the thinking of summit skills, yes I agree that the only way to learn plumbing or any trade for that matter is 'on the job' however this will have a huge impact on colleges nationwide, The new C&G 2000 qual is very general in its approch to services and I dont believe a true indication to prospective plumbers as to the content of the full plumbing course, I think summit skills along with the various awarding bodies should consider a level 1 plumbing qualification, somthing that can capture school leavers and give them a real taste of our trade.
Back to top Go down
Phil
Admin
Phil

PostSubject: Re: Views on extension of 6129   Views on extension of 6129 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 8:08 am

That's exactly what the access course is aimed at. Summit Skills don't want a level 1 in plumbing and heating to prevent a learner from completing it and then saying they are qualified, that would be a repeat of the situation of a few years ago. I do find myself agreeing with the new standards as they are tighter and that in my opinion is something that was badly needed.
Back to top Go down
https://napt.board-directory.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Views on extension of 6129   Views on extension of 6129 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Views on extension of 6129
Page 1 of 1